The Mybook Rescue Tool is an easy solution to restore a bricked Mybook to it's original configuration, without loosing the data.
This feature is only available to donators.
Disclaimer : I have tested several times my tool , but i do not want to be responsible or injuried if you loose your data using it. Use at your own risks. Please, do not use any of the tools provided in this site if your Mybook is critical for your job, life , security of other people etc...What is Mybook Rescue Tool ?
If you have been playing around too much by installing Linux hacks from several sites and now your Mybook does not boot anymore, then you will probably be happy to use this tool.
Mybook Rescue Tool is only working on WhiteLight, SINGLE DRIVE Mybooks of any sizes. ( If you have a double Drive Mybook, do not use this procedure.) .
How does it work ?
The main prerequisite is to plug the Hard Drive to your Windows Computer using one of the following methods :
- Plug via the internal SATA connection
- Plug via an external SATA / USB adapter (20€) .
The rescue Tool will :
- Provide a simple user interface to make it easy (and safe) to perform this operation. ( The interface will detect the Mybook Harddrives, display information to allow you to be check that it is the correct hard drive that is selected, and will launch the correct commands lines, using the windows "dd" utility)
- Copy a new Mybook Image on the System Partitions of your Mybook . ( all Hacks , configurations and created users that have been made will be deleted. All the Mybook Configuration need to be redone after the rescue Procedure.)
- The rescue tool does not touch the Data Partition ( Any Data that is on the 4th PArtition remains untouched. )
- Restore the original MAcAddress that your original Mybook had.
Procedure is the following :
1) Remove the Hard drive from your Mybook . You can follow the provided procedure :
2) Plug the SATA hard drive on your Windows Computer :
- USing a SATA/USB adapter ( 20€)
- Using your Computer internal SATA connectivity ( require to open your windows Computer...)
3) Download the Rescue Tool from the Donator's Space
Download the MybookRescue.rar file (100mb) , then unrar on your windows disk : when unrared , it will take 3,5 GB.
Please, ensure that you have the necessary disk space on your Windows Computer, before you start downloading...
4) unrar the Mybook Rescue Tool within a Folder that do not contain any spaces. I recommend C:\MybookRescue :
then double click on the MybookRescue.vbs file. If a warning is displayed, please accept to run it.
5) a Welcome message is displayed :
6) Select the Mybook's Hard Drive
Normally, only drives with 4 partitions are displayed, in most situation , you should have only one choice possible : Your Mybook's Hard Drive.
Click Next ( you can click safely, as another confirmation message will appear after )
7) Double- Check and confirm the Hard drive :
This step is the very last step before performing the action. Please double check carefully :
Read the selected partitions names and associated size in the displayed Window, and Double check that the sizes matches in the textarea below. ( see screen shot)
If they do not match, then Click CANCEL, and search for a different solution for rescueing your Mybook.
If all Sizes are matching, then, you can click Next.
As soon as you click Next, the Image copy starts to your Mybook 's Drive :
This should take 1 hour.
At the end of the copy, a message is displayed " Images have been applied".
8) Now you can plug back your Hard Drive to your Mybook and boot on it.
You will be asked the same questions as the very first time that you used your Mybook ( Accept eula, timezone, DHCP or Static configuration) I do not describe this here, as you have already done it once...
9) Activate SSH ,(launch the Western Digital interface ( user=admin / password=admin) , go to SYSTEM / Advanced , and click Enable SSH)
10) if you had previously some customized shares, you will need to recreate all of them , with the exact same name. to retrieve the list of shares that you had previously created , connect via PUTTY and launch the following command :
Note all names , except Download, Public, _torrent_, jewab.
for each of the other folder names, you need to recreate the shares using the Western Digital interface.
==> on the Western Digital interface, go to the Storage / Shared Folders configuration
And create new shares with the exact same names ( Case sensitive) as they were previously.
11) now , you should have your Public and other shares back wit their data.... ( :-) )
==> I recommend that your next step is to install the Feature Pack Manager , and May be configure the MybookClone FeaturePack, to have a daily backup of your Mybook...
Mybook Rescue is only available to donators,
Download the tool here :
The Mybook Rescue Tool has not been sufficient to rescue/unbrick your Mybook or you want to format a brand new disk as a Mybook Disk ?
if the rescue failed, then you need to reformat completely your Mybook using the MybookFormat tool :
I recommend the following procedure :
1) Buy a brand new disk with more or equal disk space than your existingMybook (buy Western Digital Caviar green hard drive.)
2) Apply the Mybook Format tool + Mybook Rescue tool to this brand new disk to format the new drive with Mybook System.
3) Plug the old drive to your blank new system via usb
4) Copy your old data to your blank new system ( i can send you the command line to do this by email.)
5) Use your old disk as a backup disk, using MybookClone, so that you will never need again Mybook Rescue tool :-).
Please, note that the Mybook Format tool (re-)prepare a hard disk as a mybook disk ( with correct partitions ) : this tool DEFINITELY DELETE ALL THE DATA THAT WAS ON THE MYBOOK.